Wednesday, May 10th
6:00-8:00pm – Conference check-in and mingle with the Detroit Area Art Deco Society at the Detroit Marriott Hotel in the Renaissance Center, Michigan’s tallest building.
Thursday, May 11th
Morning – Cranbrook Tour
- We will take a bus to the Cranbrook Educational Community and tour its stunning Art Deco architecture.
- Highlights include Eliel Saarinen’s Art Deco house, Cranbrook school, and campus.
Box Lunch en route to the Henry Ford museum (included)
Afternoon – The Henry Ford Museum
- Bus tour en route to the museum
- The group will listen to a special lecture on the museum’s Art Deco collection, tour Unique-to-Detroit and on display Art Deco artifacts, along with special behind the scenes tour of the museum’s (normally closed to the public) archives.
Bus to Downtown for drinks (2 per person, included) at Cliff Bell’s, an beautifully restored Art Deco bar
Dinner on your own, with many suggestions within walking distance of Cliff Bell’s and the Detroit Marriott Hotel, our preferred hotel. (See more information below on Detroit’s public transportation and safety.)
Friday, May 12th
Morning Lectures with coffee, tea and morning treats
- Introduction to Detroit’s Art Deco, presented by Rebecca Binno-Savage, long-time DAADS board member and current co-Vice President
- Corrado Parducci’s Architectural Legacy, presented by Jennifer Baross, DAADS board member and Parducci Society President
Downtown Walking Tour with lunch (included) at the Maccabees, located in an Art Deco building, built by Albert Kahn in 1925. Continued tour of Detroit Art Deco structures via motor coach.
Mingle with Detroit-Expedition guests and the Detroit Area Art Deco Society members at a closing reception that ends the day.
Saturday, May 13th
Morning shuttle to Cleveland. (Bus transfer to Cleveland is purchased with Cleveland registration.)
Total Cost: $460 per person
The Detroit Expedition includes: Complimentary drink during Wednesday Mixer at Detroit Marriott Hotel. Lunch Thursday & Friday. Drinks (limit 2) at Cliff Bell’s Art Deco Bar, morning treats Friday and transportation to all venues.
*Price does not include hotel, Thursday breakfast or dinners.